Fun in my fabric world....

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Learning not to doubt myself.


Doubting myself, I don't do it as much as I used to, but I still have that ability to question myself even when I know what I am doing is right, or at least right for me. I think we all do it, at least some times, and it has the potential to cripple a creative moment. Yikes! I tend to be responsible for making lots of decisions , both at home and work, so generally I don't let it phase me, but if life is hectic and I am feeling pressured, the Queen of Procrastination can sweep in and take over my little kingdom leading to hours wasted second guessing myself! Are you feeling it?
A few months ago I began a journey to create something different, something to reflect who I was in 2014...be she good, bad or just plain lacking in taste!  It started with a fuschia pink and natural linen check, and an idea to "take an element" of something that inspires me, and then create from there. In a workshop with Margaret Sampson-George I began to relax and just enjoy what I am doing, to believe in myself and to USE THAT STASH!
Slowly it is progressing, and it is fun. I am learning things about colour, placement, and that I do like a dash of happy loud. A couple of days off sick has given me a chance to add some more elements, but sadly I am back from the brink and will be able to head back to work tomorrow.
And to leave you with a "you have to love him" moment...here is my beloved cat sitting on the ornamental only cushions...what could I do, but leave him there...and smile!

Hope the dreaded Queen hasn't visited you lately!
Cardygirl xx


19 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I have my wishy washy moments but in the end I let the project speak to me and go with whatever makes me happy. I just love the bold check for the applique background and that book definitely looks inspiring. I haven't found many books of late that inspire me as there is so much of the same. Sorry you have to head back to work but glad you're feeling better. Perhaps sewing is just what the "doctor" ordered.

Susan said...

Even I can appreciate the beauty of your pretty yellow petals. It must be so liberating to completely please yourself with your design......I'm not quite there yet myself. Your pussy cat has excellent taste in cushions.

Nedra said...

Oh, I love that fabric you chose for your background, Alison. Nice job!

gracie said...

Your creative project is looking interesting...

Chookyblue...... said...

we all have patches where we doubt ourselves...........

making progress on your quilt......glad your feeling better.......

Get that cat off those gorgeous cushions........

Sue SA said...

Yeah for you, I haven't found the inner courage to let loose and design! I think the thing is to go with your heart and dont worry about the little things - look at the big picture, and it looks gorgeous to me! Glad you had some fun distraction while you were sick.

Salley said...

That cat has taste!

I procrastinate too. But creative juices can flow after reflection, so don't think of it as negative / wasted time.
Better than jumping gung-ho into something and then feeling you have to complete it, even though you may have lost that lovin' feelin'!

Cheryll said...

It's only "normal" to wonder... after all that's what makes us creative...not doing what everyone else does. Just follow your initial instincts...they are usually the correct ones. EnJoY! :)

Small pieces said...

Creative choices are often harder than practical ones. Your soul is exposed!!

Sue-Anne said...

Ha ha, I think I am the queen! Procrastination seems to be my middle name of late and I totally get what you are saying. Your quilt is looking fantastic and I love those bright flowers. Glad to see you let your baby get comfortable on those cushions.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I do it every day!!!...love your project,,,

Janet said...

Lots of great colour and I love your clamshell pillows!

Janice said...

I seem to be the prisoner of the Queen at times, but on the weekend retreat I was the opposite and ended up with a great quilt top with little effort. It was a great feeling. I do love your quilt and will be enjoying seeing it progress. Stay bold with your design.

Anthea said...

it's a really interesting personal journey that is happening with this quilt Cardy - we all doubt ourselves sometimes - just be patient with yourself & you will be happy with what you make...
As for the cat, well he thinks the cushions are his, so of course he is sleeping on them!

Michelle said...

Oh yes I can start with a great idea, jump in to pick fabrics and two hours later still be there with just two fabrics in my hand in a totally different colour to what I started out with!

Debbie said...

Procrastinate away...it certainly works for you very well!

Googy Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Googy Girl said...

I love your work, i love the playful colourful things you create. Your work like you are unique and amazing

Fairy Floss Stitches said...

so sorry you haven't been well..and glad your feeling better… the quilt will be amazing! Xx